Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Catholic Defender: Rocky's Greatest Attribute

It was the 10th and final round of an exibition fight that nobody expected much of a competitive bout between former champion, Rocky Balboa and the current Champion, Mason Dixon.

 Rocky is close to his 60's at this time, but he has maintained himself incredibly well.

So much so that he is right in the middle of a great fight when he received a huge right hand by the Champion.

Then Rocky says to himself, "What did you say to the kid? It ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you get hit if you keep moving forward. How much can you take and keep moving forward, get up!"

With this scene comes the familiar inspiring music, the chants and cheers for Rocky, and a great finish.

What I have loved about the Rocky movies is that they ordinarily provide a great testimony of endurance, motivation, and inspiration.

I also love the strong Catholic flavor in the movies, Rocky is always asking and trusting in his Parish Priest, he always does the "Sign of the Cross" before a fight, he loves his family, his wife and Son.

This is important in life, to believe in yourself, to work hard, and to listen to good counsel.

Zechariah 4:6 states, "Not by an army, nor by might, but by my spirit, says the Lord of hosts".

We are to place our complete trust and confidense in the Lord of hosts.

 It was making this last Rocky movie that I learned of Sylvester Stallones return to the Catholic Faith.

How this inspires me and how happy I am for this news.

There is a party in heaven when a prodigal comes home. Sometimes all we can say is that it is God's time.

I will always be thankful for good movies that have a good meaning and the Rocky series have been very important.  Many young people have been influenced with a positive message here.

Growing up an Athlete all my life, to include collegent, semi-pro baseball. I have always loved sports based stories like Rocky.

I remember watching Rocky VI with my oldest Son, Nathan, at fort Campbell when it first came out. The crowd really got into it during the fight scene.

I also remember watching the last Rocky movie in Iraq with a group of Soldiers and that was fantastic.

St. Paul writes, "Do you not know that the runners in the stadium all run in the race, but only one wins the prize? Run so as to win. Every athlete exercises discipline in every way. They do it to win a perishable crown, but we an imperishable one. Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. No, I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disquaified".  (1 Corinthians 9:24-27) 

That is a good verse speaking out against "once saved, always saved", but in truth, this true is everywhere, we must persevere until the end.


Home page
DTB facebook Page
You Tube
Blog Talk Radio Show

No comments:

Post a Comment