Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Catholic Defender: My Discussion with a Muslim

Today I had the opportunity to sit at a table and speak with a Muslim and his family.

What a great opportunity I was given as the discussion began over donuts and coffee.

At first I did not know he was a Muslim until after talking to him for a couple of minutes.

I explained why I believe that Jesus is the true Messiah, the holy one of God.

 I was able to compare Jesus and Mohammed exposing Mohammed as a false prophet.


The Gentleman listened closely as I relayed the prophecy of Moses, "A prophet like me will the Lord, your God, raise up for you from among your own kinsmen". Who most closely resembles Moses, Jesus or Mohammed? That was the distinction I wanted to show.

Consider Moses being in the presence of the Lord, Exodus 35:29-30 states, "As Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the commandments in his hands, he did not know that the skin of his face had become radiant while he conversed with the Lord. When Aaron, them and the other Israelites saw Moses and noticed how radiant the skin of his face had become, they were afraid to come near him".


Jesus has this experience, it is important to see the connection between Moses and Jesus.

They both radiated brightly after being in the presence of God. Jesus reveals his own divinity:


"After six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John and led them up a high mountain apart by themselves. And he transfigured before them, and his clothes became dazzling white, such as no fuller on earth could bleach them. The Elijah appeared to them along with Moses, and they were conversing with Jesus. Then Peter said to Jesus in reply, Rabbi, it is good that we are here! Let us make three tents: one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah. He hardly knew what to say, they were so terrified. Then a cloud came, casting a shadow over them; then from the cloud came a voice, This is my beloved Son. Listen to him. Suddenly, looking around, they no longer saw anyone but Jesus alone with them. As they were coming down from the mountain, he charged them not to relate what they had seen to anyone, except when the Son of Man had risen from the dead. So they kept the matter to themselves, questioning what rising from the dead meant" (Mark 9:2-10).

Jesus fulfills hundreds of such prophecies from where he would be born to the Wise-men, to the passion to the parables.


 In contrast, where is Mohammed in all this? The only kind of fulfilled prophecy that would be of Mohammed would be for the false prophet.

We talked about this for a few minutes until I directed his attention to the New Testament and that Jesus truly was raised from the dead. The resurrection is denied by Islam.

After a few minutes of this discussion, I was asked about the Catholic Church, why not any of the various other denominations?

I explained that Jesus Christ founded the Catholic Church giving it his protection (Matthew 16:18), his promise (Matthew 28:20), and his seal (Acts 2:1-2), all of which represents the Lord's authority.


What I did not expect was that my friend was beginning to open up that he was beginning to see the truth of Jesus through His Church.

What a great joy for this young man to begin a journey towards the one true God. What a joy for me to witness this as we spoke.

His family was very interested in what was happening through our discussion. I believe this young man will soon be participating in the RCIA next year.

I am reminded that in the Divine Mercy Novena, the Fourth Day, the Lord calls, "Today bring me those who do not believe in God, and those who do not yet know me. I was thinking also of them during My bitter Passion, and their future zeal comforted My Heart. Immerse them in the ocean of My mercy".

By the end of the discussion, the young man became more open to listen to our holy Faith, we are going to continue talking about this subject at a later date. I certainly gave him much to check out.


Home page
DTB facebook Page
You Tube
Blog Talk Radio Show

No comments:

Post a Comment