Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Catholic Defender: A Day At Fort Hood

Today began as any other day, I was able to sleep in a little until I needed to get ready to go to Fort Hood as they were honoring retirees.

I was able to get my annual flu shot and was able to speak with a number of people at Thomas Moore health Clinic. I really enjoyed speaking with the Chaplain and his assistant while I was there.

He was a member of the Church of the Nazarean, which began in Pilot Point Texas in 1908 with the merger of three holiness Methodist groups.

The Chaplain's Assistant was a Southern Baptist and I really enjoyed the opportunity to speak with them. They were handing out Rosaries which I was very happy, people were taking them home and that is a good sign.

Later, there was a Soldier with the 1st Cav Horse Detachment that was reenlisting in the Army.

I was honored to be there to celebrate with the Soldiers keeping alive some of our great Military Traditions.

My Wife, Gigi bought me one of those awesome Cav swords which I have mounted over my fireplace.

We need to pray for our Soldiers especially in this dangerous time in human history.

We need to keep our Military strong as the world continues to be a dangerous place.

Here I am pictured with a young Soldier who was one of the Soldiers reenlisting, he has a young family, striving to make a good living for his family.

His name is Joshua which I can't help but think how special this is. What a great tradition we have as Catholics for naming our sons and daughters after the Saints, those in heaven.

I named my second Son Joshua! Every one of these young Soldiers have a family who cares and prays for them.

Many times they are sent into harms way defending our freedoms. Please keep Joshua and his family in your prayers.

I really enjoy riding horses as a past time, I grew up around horses and other farm animals.

What I liked about watching and observing the presentation of the horse Cav detachemnt was the teamwork involved.

We see this in a lot of things like sports, but this has a special place in my heart. These Soldiers depend on each other working as a team.

That is something the Church does well in reaching the world for Christ. I like to thing of the Bishops and Priests like the Field Generals leading our troops into battle.

They help us prepare for the main event. I like to think of our religious orders like the Special Forces, the Rangers who go out to be our hands in helping others, reaching out to others for Christ.

I was so thankful to be able to meet several of the active duty Soldiers today as well as some of the retirees I had the chance to meet.

I meet some Viet Nam Veterans as well as Korean War Vets who were just as proud of their service as I am mine! It was truly a great day.

I want to offer here at this time a Soldiers Prayer:
A Prayer for Soldiers

Brave warriors,
should fate find us in battle,
May our cause be just.
May our leaders have clear vision.
May our courage not falter.
May we be triumphant an earn victory
as we show mercy to our enemies.
May our efforts bring lasting peace.
May our sacrifice be always
appreciated by those we serve.
May we return to our loved ones unharmed.
Should we be harmed, may our wounds heal.
Should we perish in the struggle,
may God embrace us and find for us
a place in His Kingdom.



Home page
DTB facebook Page
You Tube
Blog Talk Radio Show

No comments:

Post a Comment